Day 23: Round Top to LaGrange, TX

I must really like Texas. I sure am stretching it out. Only 17 miles today. This illness is really starting to hit me hard.

Last night it stormed on me all night. The wind was blowing so hard I thought my tent was going to sail away. It sounded like what I imagine a skydiver hears coming from his suit as he whips through the atmosphere. It was raining so hard I thought it was hailing. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much. Every time I dozed off another gale force wind would wake me with a start.

When I "woke" up this morning I felt like I hadn't slept at all (close to the truth) and there were horrible noises coming from my chest as I struggled to breathe through the maze of phlegm in my lungs. Cough, cough. "I'm not getting up. No, siree." so I laid there for another hour before I forced myself into action. I figured it would be alright if I just got going. Nah. This bug is here to stay.

Devoid of all energy, I struggled to ride the 2 miles into town, dodging antique show traffic on what I imagine is normally not a busy road. I ate delicious biscuits and gravy at the tavern and forced myself back on the road by 10. I soon realized I wasn't going get very far today.

Traffic finally thinned out just as a shoulder magically appeared and the road surface became smooth. Go figure.

Finally! I was so happy to see LaGrange. A cool older dude stopped to chat with me outside the bank where I was sitting, kind of out of it. You wouldn't know it by looking at him, but he used to race for Schwinn back when they used to make bikes that were actually good. He told me about a mountain, kind of the last big one you climb on this trip, where you can see San Diego on a clear day even though you're still about 100 miles out. I got real excited. I've been needing those little motivational kicks in the butt in the last few days since I've been moving at a snail's pace.

Some government building in downtown LaGrange.

After that I checked into the Oak Motel and I've been in bed pretty much ever since. So awesome.

I came to the realization today (reluctantly) with a little help from Brennan McIrishman (ok a lot of help) that it would be best if I just lay low for a couple of days and wait for this to pass instead of miserably cranking along and being frustrated by my lack of progress. I don't wannna! But I probably should. (But I probably won't). I'll split the difference and play it by ear in the morning.

Ah, morning. It will be here so soon. Sleep....ah, yes. I remember what you are like. Let's do this. Love to you all.



  1. Sleep it off sister. And take the day off tomorrow!

  2. I hope you're starting to feel better. Definitely give your body a rest, so you can enjoy yourself!